10/9/10

First time in a Skin Suit!

Current Song: Semi-Charmed Life, Third Eye Blind
What I did Today: Took a lazy day
Energy: Rested and Anxious.

College is a place for a lot of first times. With wearing a skin suit checked off the list, it is apparent. Looking forward to wearing it at nationals! Collegiate nationals is coming up. Our bikes are already on their way across the country making that the 5th near cross-country trip for my bike! Pretty cool. I knew I brought the bike box for a reason! Well the only problem is that we can't check any baggage so we have to have most of our gear packed already. So my helmet, shoes, and many kits and basically everything but the clothes I need for the next week is on its way already. Thats where the skin suit came in. Good Ole T-Cowie has graciously allowed me and Kody to use many of his spare kits, vests and what not. In that bag was the skin suit and seeing as the suit was an XS and Kody is about 6' tall I got it. It was weird to wear, definitely felt like I had absolutely nothing on.

Well the last week was extremely eventful. After an excellent short track race at Conyers, Georgia at the olympic mountain bike venue (freaking awesome!) I had an eventful cross country warm-up. First I will go in to the short track. After a confused start I found myself in the top third of the pack. The course went on a flat grass track, up a short hill and down a quick descent. I was feeling great on the false flat, I even brought out the aero tuck. I was able to move up in position and obtain my best finish in short track yet! Then the cross-country. During my warm-up I went to ride the slick rock section of the olympic course. It was sweet there were basically highway lines to show the 1996 competitors where to go. At the bottom of that I noticed my free-wheel wasn't clicking anymore. So I asked some people they said it should be fine and then BAM. I could rotate my cranks the right way and get nothing from the wheel. Blown free hub, 10 minutes before the start of conference champs. Well of course no one else here has a 29er so I thought I was done for. Then St. Marie the superman in disguise decided to throw his race for mine because he thought I would do better. I didn't agree with it but it was forced. So I raced his 26 inch wheel on the rear. Yup, a 69er. What an awkward ride. It accelerated super fast so I was able to get on the lead group on the start but my switch up was evident. My shifting was all off. My riding even was off, I would be riding down and my front wheel would roll over something fine and then buck my rear wheel! So I was able to hold on for a solid finish. Definitely wish I had the 29er working for mine and St. Marie's sakes. It was cool to experiment though because the difference is drastic!

The week is closing down now and a fun weekend is in order! I may try out some baggies today!
For now, WEEEEEEE

No comments:

Post a Comment