7/14/10

CTS Race Report

Well this week has been a packed one. On thursday I headed up to Colorado Springs, for the final round of the Pro XCT which is the national cross country series. It was a super fun race! It was a time trial on Friday followed by a cross-country on saturday (short laps) and then a long lap cross country on sunday. 3 intense days of racing made for a very tired Lewis!

Friday. Well the time trial was going to take about fifteen minutes. I figured it wouldn't be too bad and seeing as it started at 6:30 I was going through a first time race. Well in the morning I decided to go out for a spin to loosen up the legs and really try to keep in shape all day, often on rest days my legs feel tired at the end of the day because they are so relaxed. So after a nice spin me and my dad went out to REI where I got a sweet new day pack. And then to the race. I warmed-up and went to grab a bottle and when I came around to the start, I was late by 36 seconds. In bike races they go off of what time you are scheduled to start so little did I know but I was racing for those 36 seconds so I started down thirty seconds right off the start. I was so mad throughout the first technical part I actually cleaned most of it! which was great. Through the rest of the course I had a pretty good race but ended up in 8th out of 11. Not too happy.

Saturday. I saw saturday as a day to redeem myself. It was a UCI style cross country so we had to do short laps but lots of them. It was a blast. I had a good start and settled into sixth for the next two laps I saw no one around me and finally on the fourth lap, after being 3 and a half minutes down on the guy at the bottom of the hill I saw someone as I crested the hill. He bobbled on a technical section that I did not and I was able to get past him. I absolutely went for it on the descent as I could not lose any time to this guy. Finally I passed another guy who had flatted. I was able to hold that position to the finish! It was exciting to finish in the top 5 in a National race. It was a fun race. I moved up to 5th in the Overall.

Sunday. We were all TIRED on Sunday. After two days of racing us cyclists are used to a nice easy day but no. we got the opposite. So the pack went pretty easy out of the start and I was able to stay in the lead group. They dropped me on the descent and I caught back up on the climb. But at the point the dehydration set in. My third lap was an absolute suffer fest. Well I was able to finish fifth and move up to fourth in the Overall. It was a great race all together and I was really excited with the way I was riding. I guess only time will tell between now and nationals.

No comments:

Post a Comment