7/5/10

Rest Days are for Blogging

Current Song: Stairway To Heaven, Led Zeppelin
What I did Today: Rest, Rest, Rest
Energy: Completely wiped after yesterday's ride.

Well its been awhile, probably since its been like 5 or 6 days since my last rest day! Well it has been an interesting week back. From World Cup Soccer to the Tour to some new workouts, its been great.

Josh, a lifelong best friend got back from Germany on Thursday, we celebrated by my arrival at 8 to watch the World Cup match. We watched another one in the afternoon and then, I had to drive to taos for my sister's hair appointment, what a perfect time to do a workout! I started at the youth and family center and rode to Ktao on my road bike. I started my pain there. I did 30/30's which is an all-out effort for thirty seconds and then a thirty second recovery and all over again. I did these for ten minutes, or ten intervals. What a horrid workout. This killed me. I was done halfway through the first set. It was amazing how much my heart rate dropped from the first set to the second set. I was planning on doing three sets but after seeing the massive drop in numbers, I decided it was time to call it a day.

The next day saw a nice recovery ride, a very thoughtful one. I thought about why I think about racing the way I do and what I need to do to maybe think more positively. It was great fun. Earlier in the day we did get to see Germany KILL Argentina which was so awesome to see. And a narrow defeat by Spain over Paraguay.

On Sunday I was determined to really show myself what I am made of, by doing an almost fun workout! It started off early to take my sister to riding lessons this time. Got to see my english teacher which was a plus. While she was there I was planning on dropping off my bike for a nice tune-up before my next two races but it was closed so I went to the pump track and goofed off. I even jumped in the skate park for some berm practice! Then it was back to AF to help my parents with a barbeque stand at a 4th of july thing at the Country club, Then I got to do my workout. See whenever I climb Palo Flechado Pass on my road bike I always want to race up it but most of the time I am doing a warm-up so I can't. So I figured I would do something that would honor my wants. I started at my mom's clinic and warmed up and found myself at the bottom. Its about ten minutes to the top, so I figured it would be perfect for some lactate threshold work. Lactate threshold is the point that lactate starts to build in the muscles, so someone who can produce a lot of power at this point can ride fast for a very long time. I wanted to work on that so I did 4 time trial, race efforts up Palo flechado. I started with a 10:22 then to a 10:20 and then to a 10:18. The last one dropped to a 10:47. But Thats good because if I didn't drop off I would figure 4 is not enough. After this I cooled down and had a nice spin back to the car.

Well now I am almost glad gearing-up was closed because I got to make my front tire tubeless again. After a flat on my thoughtful recovery ride I had a tube in there. Now its off to work! Amazing that I have been back for so long and not worked at all! It also sounds like I will be staying, either with the franklins or just camping by myself between colorado springs and nationals! Like my own little camp! I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment